Monday, February 25, 2013

FUN DAY Monday: Homemade Silly Putty Goop ~ Simple Sticky Fun!

Today I introduce to you a new series on this blog:
 
For the most part I've kept this blog rather serious, focused on my personal relationship with Jesus.  "Seeing God in the Everyday Stuff of Life".  And that still is the theme of this blog.  But the main title of this blog is Life in Beranville.  A big part of my life here in Beranville is Fun.  It's in many of those lighthearted, fun times that I see God the most!
 
I homeschool our oldest son as our younger son follows along.  We jokingly call what he does "two year old preschool".  We do fun science experiments and hands-on activites to reinforce our lessons.  And a lot of other things just for fun!
 
My husband and I work together on do-it-yourself projects around the house.  Thanks to Pinterest I have all kinds of ideas just waiting to be created! 
 
On FUN DAY Monday I will share these kind of things.  Then, later in the week, I hope to share other insights on what God is showing me. 
 
Today let's talk about Silly Putty Goop.  Shall we? 
 
We have made this several times.  It doesn't last as long as the store bought stuff (it either dries out or gets overly sticky after a few days).  But who really cares, it's cheap and fun!  My boys like making it as much they like playing with the finished product!  A BIG thank you to my cousin, Beth, who originally gave me the recipe a couple of years ago.
 
Things you will need: 2 Simple Ingredients!
 
2 Tablespoon of Elmer's Glue
1 Tablespoon of Sta-Flo Liquid Starch (found in the laundry section of most supermarkets)
 
 
Measure these out and pour them right on the kitchen counter. It's a gooey, icky mess at first.
The BOYS LOVE IT!
 

 
Just look at those happy faces! :)
 
Just when you think there's no hope for this stuff, that you're going to have a sticky mess and nothing else to show for your time...wall-ah!  All of sudden it's the pefect texture.
 
Leave it sitting on the counter for 15 to 20 minutes. 
Then, play away.
 
Don't worry if it gets on their clothes, it washes out.  It washes right off the counter too.
 
To make it even more fun add 2 drops of food coloring at the end.  If you don't want the color all over your kids' hands, I recommend dropping 2 drops in the almost done putty over the sink and kneading it in yourself.  Wash your hands immediately to remove color.
 
Here's the finished product:
We call it Silly Putty Goop 
 
Closing thoughts:
Life can be sticky! Be sure you know Who holds all things together.
 
"He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."
Colossians 1:17
 
Hope you enjoyed my 1st FUN DAY Monday post.  If so, join me again next week.
 
Follow me on Pinterest  or sign up for e-mail updates in the righthand side bar.
For Health related topics check out my Health In Beranville blog.
 
Coming up:
Homemade Playdoh Recipe and Fun Ideas
Homemade Shoe Hook project (get those shoes off the floor and stop tripping on them!)
An attempt at Unpoppable Bubbles (and an old fashioned bubbles recipe too)

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! My 8 y/o loves goop! Come to think of it, so do my 16 and 20 y/os! Lol! We have made play dough in various colors and other fun ideas from pinterest, but somehow missed this one. Thanks for sharing! Hope you are doing well, friend! :) xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!